Thursday, March 12, 2009

Another day in the life of...

So today was another day in my life. While I've had a rough past couple of days, I have to say in some ways today's events weren't as bad as they have been. Except, wow....I've been disturbed all day. I usually get up at 6:30 to get ready for school because I like to get there about 10 minutes early and get my stuff set up. I went to bed a little later last night and as such as a little more tired, so I reset my alarm for 10 more minutes (yes it really does help). In that 10 minutes I had one of the freakiest dreams I've had in a long time. I won't recount it because well I've told it twice now and it still continues to bother me. However, it did end when my ten minutes were up, something I am grateful for and it freaked me out enough that I jumped up and turned on all of the lights in my path. I'm still not sure I want to go to bed tonight, just in case.

The rest of the day wasn't bad except for that niggling feeling caused by the dream. I managed to pay attention during lecture and take decent notes, something that doesn't always happen with me. Then the afternoon came. We had a set of lectures from the Colby Foundation, which is an organization set up to promote organ donation after a set of parents lost their 14 month old son due to a near drowning (he was brain dead). First was a lecture from a researcher on organ transplantation which was interesting. Then a lecture from a man who works for an OPO (organ procurement organization). Then the mother of the little boy got up to talk to us about the foundation. While she was telling her story, I'm convinced that a majority of the class was teary eyed with everyone secretly trying to hide tears or wipe them away. I was glad that when the few people who asked questions of her thanked her for sharing her story, because I don't know how she did it. I think I would have fallen apart every single time I had to tell the story. Maybe she does and just hides it well. It was a moving series but at the same time, the sadness of it all still weighed heavily. It's odd because the little boy died because of the carelessness of one person and lost his life, yet with his organs he managed to extend/save the lives of at least 3 other people. The second person who talked was also particularly hard for me as he was talking about removing life support and basically waiting for a person to die, something I have unfortunately encountered only a couple of months ago.

After the talk, I went to the gym immediately to try to work off some of the weight on me. It worked some and I managed to have a very productive evening doing school work. I'm still a little afraid to go to bed though.

No comments: