Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Wow! Two days in a row...

Yes everyone this is my second day in a row posting on here. Should I be studying? Probably. However, after spending what amounts to an hour digging out my car, I think I deserve a break. So really is was half an hour Sunday and another half hour to 45 minutes today, but hey...it took work.

So I have decided that I may have to start driving to school. Traversing the hill that spans the distance between my apartment and the school isn't so bad in the summer time. Actually it's quite pleasant. When there is about 2 feet of snow and there's no clear path because the wind is blowing and covering up all attempts to make a path, it's pure hell. Today, I felt like I was going to die. Now I know I'm not in the greatest of shape, but typically my heart doesn't race and my lungs don't burn after that short amount of time. On "The Hill" though, it does. It's nice because it's kind of like my exercise for the day, but as I don't want to stink all day from the sweat that is drummed up with the workout and I don't want to have to spend an hour recuperating after, driving might just be best. We'll see though as people who drive in Erie are a little scary in the snow. Thankfully, it's a short drive.

So today is my second day of eating healthfully. What I am doing is the South Beach Diet. I love carbs, all sorts of carbs. However, so does my body, so it quickly gobbles them up and sends them right to my abdominal area. I am what you call an apple shape. I was reading an article today, that people who are apple shaped should actually eat lower carbs. And when they do eat, carbs it should be the healthly ones. Now, this is true for everyone. We should all eat "good" carbs. Whole grains, fruits, "real" sugars. But the article showed that those with an apple shape use carbs differently than pear shapes. The study showed that pear shapes lost the same amount of weight on a low carb and low fat diets. Apple shapes lost significantly more weight on a low carb diet. It has to do with the way insulin is released in response to the carbs. How insulin effects body shape or how body shapes effect insulin, they still haven't figured out yet. So it makes sense to me. I'll go very low carb for a while then I'll introduce the good carbs back into my diet in smaller quantities.

In other news, med school is the same as usual. I hate sitting in lecture all day but I guess that is what I chose. I did well on the quizzes I had to take, but I obviously need some major work in pharmacology.

I have to do OPP now. Where yes, we do touch our patients, but only in a good way.

No comments: